Kids and Chiropractic
Most parents don't blink an eye when it comes to routine visits to the dentist for check-ups. So why not the chiropractor? But his/her back doesn't hurt! Why should I take them to a chiropractor?
Well, just like the dentist a spinal check-up performed by a chiropractor could prove to be valuable in the life of your child. With not only the trauma of childbirth itself, children are constantly falling, jumping and running. These normal childhood activities are just a few of the many methods for vertebral subluxations to occur. If not detected these subluxations can have serious health consequences for the future.
Traditionally, chiropractors have been identified with back pain and adults. The role of children and chiropractic has been relatively non-existent. However, the spine, which houses the nervous system, functions to control the entire body. If problems interfere with this system, any messages raveling throughout the nervous system, via the brain to the spinal cord to the body and back again, are impaired. This interrupts the normal, healthy actions and functions of the human body. These interruptions are called Vertebral Subluxations.
Many pediatric visits to the chiropractor are due to ear infections, allergies, asthma, attention problems, bed-wetting, back/neck pain and headaches. Although, chiropractic does not treat specific symptoms, we find that a healthy immune system results in an effective defense mechanism. Such complications can arise when a subluxation within the vertebra of the spine impair communication of the messages traveling from your brain via the spinal cord to the body.
Pediatric chiropractors are specifically trained to examine and adjust children of all ages. Even for newborns it's important to remove subluxations to ensure the future health of your child.
5 Reasons for Children to see a Chiropractor
- Birth is a time for trauma. Nine months in an uncomfortable position can create the beginning of future postural problems. In addition, pulling, twisting, pushing, forceps and vacuum extractions all cause trauma to the spine of a newborn creating subluxations and spinal cord damage that can be silent for years.
- The nervous system, made up of your brain and spinal cord, controls every function of the human body. Subluxations or interruptions of this communication network means your body can't function at 100%. This is not optimal health at less than 100%.
- Daily traumas of being a kid must be taken seriously. Running, jumping, falling, twisting are just a few of the mechanisms for childhood spinal injury. Furthermore, movements while changing a diaper, learning to use a walker, being lifted by parents, carrying a back-pack, physical demands of sports and sleeping behaviors all become the stepping stone for serious future difficulties if not dealt with immediately.
- Prevention---A healthy spine and nervous system helps to prevent common health problems experienced in children. These include ear infections, colic, headaches, bed-wetting, asthma and other problems.
- Posture---the old adage of "as the twig is bent, so grows the tree". A child's spine is subject to a number of stress and strains placing it at risk of future problems like scoliosis or a curved spine. To prevent this from taking place and causing future changes regular spinal screens for posture are important. Prevention is the key at an early age to deal with problems that could plague your children for a lifetime.
Presently, more and more we find concerned parents visiting the offices of chiropractors throughout the world for spinal check-ups. The importance of a healthy spine and nervous system is paramount for your child's future. With a healthy system your child is better equipped to deal with everything from back/neck pain to sore throats to measles and chickenpox. Please, don't underestimate the power of the body when it functions at 100%. By adjusting subluxations, chiropractic is a power that fuels your body to function at its best. Without chiropractic some kids have chronic sickness or regular illness that leads to prolonged consumption or usage of medicines and possible surgical intervention. Unfortunately, these are very serious and very real.
Question's Regarding Chiropractic and Kids:
Here are some important questions Dr. Fred Rossi has answered with regards to chiropractic and kids. These are very common questions asked when the topic of chiropractic arises with the health of children. I hope that these are helpful to you and your family.
- Chiropractors use children as a market for their profession and to make more money.
Well some may believe this! But, can you really place a value on your children? The truth is in my practice I see hundreds of people with curved spines, chronic back/neck pain, headaches etc. And these people all experience this at present and usually for the rest of their lives in some manner or another. Why? Because they didn't see a chiropractor when they were young to help prevent problems in their spines. As a result, these problems compounded day after day, year after year and their bodies adapted to the point where it cannot go on without correction. Unfortunately, for some it can take a very long time to undo the past. So chiropractic for children is even more valuable than for adults. Trust me. A healthy, straight spine as a child grows into a healthy adult future. Rossi Family Chiropractic offers the Family Plan to include the health of all family members. Please check with our office for further information. Our greatest reward comes from the health of everyone within our community.
- Our medical doctor condones chiropractic for kids.
What would create this response? First off, medical doctors of all types and specialties have no background with regards to chiropractic. In addition, they receive no education regarding chiropractic, it's science or it's benefits. Most medical doctors have never been to a chiropractor or ever seen an adjustment take place. Fear is a natural response. Fear of the unknown usually leads to the formulation of opinions rather than the conclusion of an educated decision. If an event or experience is not witnessed that doesn't make something more or less true. Many pediatric chiropractic testimonials exist and pediatricians do get tired of hearing how chiropractic can educate people to improve their health. Also, if a natural form of health, like chiropractic is effective, who wants to visit the medical doctor for drugs and dangerous testing, this in turn hurts their business. A medical doctor of any sort is not qualified to comment or recommend whether a person should or shouldn't see a chiropractor. The same holds for a chiropractor making a statement about someone seeing an optometrist or a dentist and so forth. Ignorance can be dangerous and that's why education and making an educated decision is so important. So educate to formulate a decision. "The most dangerous weapon in the world is a made up mind".
- Other Parents think chiropractic is dangerous for children.
Proper chiropractic care for anyone, including kids is safe. Chiropractors are doctors who must receive training in the specialty. This involves at least seven years of education at an accredited college or university. Furthermore, chiropractors trained in pediatrics are well trained in delivering adjustments that children hardly notice taking place. The profession has existed for over 100 years. Millions of adjustments take place per year. In all the literature that exists, not one adverse effect has taken place involving a child. Chiropractic is both safe and effective.
- Our kids don't have any aches or pains, so why do they need a chiropractor?
First, people have been conditioned to think that without signs or symptoms that you are healthy. Truth be known that once signs and symptoms are evident you are in the late phase of that scenario. Take the dentist for example. Can you have a cavity without having a toothache? The answer is yes. So that's why you go to the dentist for regular visits to help detect and prevent in the early phases so that any serious problems won't arise later. The same goes for vertebral subluxations. Often, subluxations exist without the signs and symptoms, yet they can produce colic, ear infections, asthma etc. We stress that chiropractic is not a treatment for signs and symptoms, a healthy spine and nervous system creates a strong defense mechanism to battle against sickness. This is why we promote that people without signs and symptoms be checked for subluxations. "It's not how your feeling, It's how your healing". Prevention is our best line of defense with regards to your health.